10 Things I Love About Life43 comments
10 Things I Love About Life
1. Listening. This weekend Reverend Mary told a story about a farmer who went to visit his nephew in the city. They were walking along the street and the farmer said, I hear a cricket. The nephew was amazed, disbelieving, but they looked around and sure enough, there was a crack in the wall of a building with a tuff of grass growing out of it and a cricket on it. The nephew asked him how he could hear that. The uncle took some coins out of his pocket and threw them on the ground. Immediately other people in the street responded by looking down to where the coins dropped and checking their pockets to make sure they didn’t lose anything. The Uncle said, “We hear what we are trained to hear. We hear what is important to us.”
I love to listen to people and have a sharp memory for what I hear. I am trained to hear the preferred story, it usually shines out like a beacon for me amongst the brambles, saying I am here, I am here. Not so hard, once you know goodness, you see it everywhere.
2. Being affectionate. My daughter and I snuggle up every night before bed and we call this our favorite time of the day. Our bodies fit so perfectly together. Last night she told me that she loves to rock, that it soothes her. Doesn’t it sooth us all? I love cuddle rocking my kiddies.
3. Freedom. I work with a man who spent time in a concentration camp in his home country during a genocide. I can only imagine what he is going through now 20 years later from what he experienced from what he tells me. The prison still surrounds him despite my attempt to free him. We are so lucky with the freedoms we have.
4. Nature. Yesterday I walked in the woods and I saw a little fox ahead of me on the trail. He stopped and starred for a moment then ran in the opposite direction. So cute. Above me a hawk flew. I marveled since the wingspan was wider than I am used to. Gorgeous. I have always loved the sky, the varied appearances it can have in a day, or in an hour. This week as the moon was waxing (growing) and we could clearly see two planets. It looked gorgeous as the sun was setting.
5. Caring. My son said “who cares?” to me the other night. And I thought, someone always cares, somewhere, always. (Me)
6. Answering questions. I always had a knack for answering questions, even if I didn’t think I knew the answer, like when giving workshops, in session, or online. You might think my answers are BS then, but I think they come from somewhere so deep inside of me that it almost outside of me.
7. Learning. I love learning new things. I don’t what else to say about it, but I want to know everything. I am amazed by biology, history, people stories, plants, animals, all aspects of healing, music, nutrition, spirituality, and much more. If I wasn’t what I am, I have a list of 3o other things that I would like to be.
8. Being calm with passion. Calm has much value in our hectic, stressful culture. We need some time for quiet to connect within ourselves. This helps us calm our fears, make better decisions, ease stress. Meditation and prayer are two sides of the same coin. One is listening, one is speaking. When I talk about “I will not calm down,” I don’t mean that I won’t be mindful, reflective, and easy going. I mean I will allow my passion and true self to glow out of that mindfulness. Let my love shine without restrictions.
9. Loving people. Sometimes it is so easy to love, isn’t it? We think it might be painful to love, but if it is pain, it is not love. What does love mean? Just means you care, you see them, you want to smile at them from your soul.
10. Remembering Amma (AKA God). I love knowing I am connected to everything and all of my problems come from the misconception that I am separate, alone, and not good enough. All I have to do is just to go back and remember that I am connected.
What do you love about life?
Jodi Aman / /